20 Apr 2013
Masdar Institute of Science and Technology, located in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates (UAE), is a private, not-for-profit, independent, graduate-level, research-driven institute developed with the support and cooperation of Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT). The goal of the Institute is to develop, over a period of years, indigenous R&D capacity in Abu Dhabi, addressing issues of importance to the region in critical areas such as: renewable energy, sustainability, environment, water resources and microelectronics. The Institute offers graduate degree programs (MSc & PhD) in science and engineering disciplines with a focus on advanced energy and sustainable technologies (http://www.masdar.ac.ae and http://web.mit.edu/mit-mi-cp/).
Position: We are looking for a post-doctoral researcher to work on approximation algorithms and algorithmic mechanism design issues with special focus on applications in electricity markets and energy exchange in smart grids. The initial appointment will be for 1 year but it can be extended up to 2 years depending on the availability of funding and the candidate’s performance.
Package: A highly competitive non-taxable (there is “no” income tax in the UAE) salary package (basic salary + housing allowance) of USD 70,000 to USD 75,000 per annum will be offered as well as provision of health insurance and an annual two-way flight ticket to the candidate’s home country.
Selection criteria: The applicant should meet the following criteria:
- PhD in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Information Technology, Mathematics, Operations Research, or a related discipline from a reputable university. (Candidates who have submitted their PhD thesis are also welcome.)
- Strong background in at least one of the following topics: algorithmic game theory, combinatorial optimization, mathematical programming, approximation algorithms.
- Good research experience and published at least 3 full research papers (excluding posters) in reputable international conferences/journals.
- Self-motivated and able to work independently.
- Familiarity with electricity markets and smart grids is a plus.
How to apply: Interested candidates should send their resume and a statement of present/past research (not exceeding 3 pages) to Drs. Khaled Elbassioni and Sid Chi-Kin Chau (email: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org). Initial screening of applications will begin immediately and the positions will remain open until filled.